9/05/2018

I've avoided routine so here I am writing about it




"You should get a hobby" - Lee 

The funny thing is, this is not the first time someone has told me this. About two years ago, a friend and I discussed the necessity of having a hobby. I was so gungho on the fact that I was going to be the next succulent cultivator extraordinaire. I would have a t-shirt made that would save succulent mama and the garden would be flourishing within a few months or so. My first row of succulent sucklings died within the week and here I am two years later buying succulents from my local Walmart. 

Two years later and unable to sit still in my own living room when my brain is craving an activity. But really, my brain is craving routine. An my lack of routine has found me somewhere in the middle of anxious hopeful hobbyist and professional snooze button hitter. 

In a recent podcast, an author was describing the differences between anxiety and depression. I know the two all too well, but I've never paused for a moment to distinguish the difference. 

Sarah Wilson, author of First, We make the Beast Beautiful, describes anxiety as an anticipation of what's to come. Depression is a reflection of the past and basically ruminating on a thought or feeling for far too long. She began to speak on how routine minimizes decision making which in turn minimizes anxiety, and in my opinion, eliminates the possibility of depression. 

My lack of routine in life has, without a doubt, brought me to a place of anxiousness. When I begin to feel anxious, my first weapon (although it should be prayer) is to reflect back on what was. Leading to a vicious cycle of apathy and tension. 

Preaching to myself on this one, I'm ready for routine and to be straightforward I have some goals that I need to figure the heck out. 

#1. GET YOUR BOOTY OUT OF BED – Lee will appreciate me not setting 5 alarms only to avoid all 5. 

#2 EAT GOOD STUFF – Edible flowers and sprouts have found their way into our fridge. Lots of water, that too. 

#3 TAKE YOUR MEDS – Sorry to get real, but one of the biggest culprits of my foot tapping and numbness when I wake up is skipping on my medically prescribed anti-depressant. You skip one day, then two, or three or maybe you're like me and you go through a bottle and get too lazy to go to the pharmacy. Each day, I take an oval cream pill that helps me stand a little taller and sleep a little better. 

#4 WALK, DAILY. Walking has been proven to pump more oxygen to your brain and in turn ya know, clearer thoughts...more energy. 

#5 AVOID THE SCROLL AT 6:30AM – You know what I mean, instagrammers. 

So there it is, a summary of my path to routine recovery. 

And by the way, I chose a hobby, it's blogging. 



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Vine + Victory. Design by Fearne.